Wednesday, February 22, 2012

To snooze, or not to snooze...

To start, I am not the most religious person in the world, I consider myself more spiritual. But I was raised Catholic; I went to private school for 2nd though 6th grades, had my First Communion, was Confirmed and attended church on most Sundays until college. Once I went away to school, I didn't make an effort to get involved in a church and would only really go with my family on major holidays (Christmas, Easter and Mother's Day). Throughout the years though, I have still carried on the tradition of giving something up/taking something on for Lent.

**that's the backstory to this post**

In the past, I've given up ice cream, soda, and other typical stuff, and taken on tasks such as waking up 15 minutes early every morning to do sit ups, doing "good deeds," etc.

This year, for Lent, I will be doing 2 things. #1 is to follow the mantra: "if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all." Marc and I have gotten into a bad habit of silly name calling and having short tempers - nothing worthy of a reality TV show or anything, just more than should be a part of a playful and loving relationship like ours. <3 I'm thinking this won't be too difficult since all I have to do is love the man I love and take a calmer approach to any disagreements we might have. :)

**sidenote: as I Googled this phrase, I've been informed by Wikipedia that this is called The Thumperian Principle, named after Thumper from Bambi. Now that's cute! :)

{Thumper}
However, for #2, I am taking on a much more difficult task... I will be {attempting} to give up pressing the snooze button in the morning! dun dun dun!

Let me tell you how severely I overuse the poor snooze. Each night, I think about what time, at the very latest, I can wake up and still make it to work on time (and by on-time, I mean 10 minutes late... oops!). Then, I subtract 45 minutes and set 2 alarms on my phone to go off 5 minutes apart. This extra 45 minutes is to allow myself plenty of time to snooze and psych myself up to get out of bed in the morning.



I don't know when or how I got into this routine, but the person who I feel sorry for the most in this story is Marc. The poor guy has to sleep through my alarm going off every 5 minutes for 45 minutes until I finally get the motivation to drag my booty out of bed! I give him so much credit because he has never complained about this once! I don't know how he does it because it's not like he's a great sleeper - it takes him a long time to fall asleep and he wakes very easily, where I usually fall asleep within seconds and sleep like a rock!

So here we are on Ash Wednesday and Lent begins. I was all psyched up to get up right when my alarm went off and nix my usage of the snooze. 6:30 rolls around and... instead of pressing snooze, my genius self decides to just TURN OFF the alarm. Because, technically, that's not pressing snooze, right?? Wrong!! I proceeded to sleep an additional half hour and was late to work. Of course. I failed miserably.

After this morning's display of zero self-control, I am determined to do better tomorrow! It just so happens that tomorrow I need to wake up at 3am to catch a 6am flight for a work trip, so it will be that much more of a challenge for me. I am hoping this additional challenge will give me that extra push I need to get my butt in gear tomorrow morning!

Wish me luck!!

No comments:

Post a Comment